Monday, September 22, 2008

A Ripped-Off Post Idea...

Technically this is not ripped-off since I'm not crediting Miss Zoot with the idea. She had her comments turned off, so this is my way to comment (somewhat).


  • Like Zoot, I also don't like the AMC original series "Mad Men." Mainly, I don't find the "world of advertising in the early '60s" interesting. So they wrote "Plop, plop, fizz, fizz." Big deal. To me it just shows that Hollywood is fast running out of GOOD ideas for shows & movies. Next will be a series about the guys that paint the lines down the middle of the street. For Christ sakes, NBC is re-hashing old TV series. Last season is was "Bionic Woman." This season it's "Knight Rider," which was even worse that "Bionic Woman" during its' initial run.
  • I do like the Avett Brothers. I was turned on to them by a mutual friend of Zoot's & mine, Junkie. However, I'm not insane over them as Junkie is, but I do think they are really good. I've seen them twice now, and I love their shows. Very entertaining. Great song lyrics too.
  • I've not seen "House Bunny" & probably never will. It's just not a movie I care to see.
  • I agree with Zoot about Perez Hilton. I don't find him funny at all. I've seen him in interviews on talk shows, and he's just a pompous, self-important, jack-ass. To me, he's on a line with Rush Limbaugh & that ilk. They only exist to tear people down; they do nothing constructive at all. No benefit to anyone (imho).
  • No experience with diaper genies myself. The last time I changed a diaper was back in '71/'72 for my youngest brother. No kids of my own; no step-kids.

So here are a couple items of my own, in which I'm out of step with others.

  • I think Julia Roberts is one of the WORST actresses around. To me, she just poses her way through movies with no discernible talent. Yes, she's beautiful, but the only film in which I could tolerate her was "Erin Brokovich." "Pretty Woman," "Steel Magnolias," "Ocean's 11" (the remake), "Michael Colins," and "The Mexican" are just a few of the films I think would've been so much better if someone else had been cast in her place.
  • I think "Survivor" is a very over-rated TV show. I've only watched a few episodes of the first season; never got the fascination.
  • In the same vein, I rarely watch so-called "reality" shows. It's because I think they are there just to reward the most loutish & boorish of bad behaviors. The only exceptions I've found are "The Amazing Race" & "Top Chef." These at least seem to reward based on merit rather than scheming & back-stabbing.
  • This one may get me lynched, but it needs to be said. John Wayne made (with few variations) the same western film over & over throughout the '60s & early '70s, and they all sucked. Two exceptions of his work that I enjoy watching are "The Shootist" from 1976 & "McQ" (I don't remember when it was released). I also don't think he was a great American hero. In interviews I've read of him, he comes off as pretty racist on many things.

If you feel the need to comment, please be kind. I'm not out to offend. These are just opinions. :)

No comments: